Writing A Literary Analysis Essay: Things To Remember
When you choose a piece of writing for your literary analysis essay, you need to focus on its fundamental elements that make it unique. Your work will be to discuss these elements and create a clear and logically connected analysis. Not to forget important steps of writing, you can use the tips below.
- Key Points of Writing an Analysis Essay on Literary Work
- Build a thesis.
- Construct a strong introduction.
- Provide evidence to support your ideas in a body paragraph.
- Research the author’s life and the overall situation in their country on the moment of writing.
- Make a firm conclusion.
- Leave a title until the end.
- Use the present tense and the third person for writing.
- Use allusions, irony, and metaphors to show that the writing has more serious meaning that it might seem from the first reading.
- Turn to secondary sources.
- Avoid confusing an author’s point of view with character’s words.
Here you need to think what you are arguing and what reasoning you have. It’s also recommended to think about an organization of your paper and the way you are going to present evidence.
This is your chance to grab readers’ attention, so you need to begin your paper with an assertive and intriguing introduction. You can even use a quotation that makes a chosen piece of writing interesting for analyzing.
It’s possible to discuss the bad features of a character’s behavior that led them to the fatal mistake. Or you can study a development of their character to understand what changes happen to them during the narration.
This can have a great impact on the literary work you are analyzing. Try to understand what symbols and special features mean and what extra information they give to you.
It should summarize all the major points you have created during analyzing of the literary work. Now you can also get a clearer understanding of the genre of the chosen work.
When you have your assignment written, it will be easier to think of a title.
You may also be allowed to use the first person, so you will be able to express your own thoughts and emotions according to the situations described in the literary work.
You may use them to support your ideas, but don’t make the entire work based on secondary sources.
Writing a literary analysis essay doesn’t mean you need to analyze the entire piece of work. Instead, you should focus on the elements that make it stand out of the others writings. Try to understand why the author wrote exactly in this way and what conclusions the readers can make from this paper. Good organization of your own analysis paper and logical transition between statements and evidence will help you make a perfect work.